If I run myself for the parliament elections with the following brief agenda, would you vote for me? What percentage of votes and outcome should I expect?
“As a dedicated, devoted, loyal citizen of my dear hometown Amman I will be working mainly in the social and cultural aspects related to X area.
Empowering children and youth is my main objective; to help invest in them and use their hidden capabilities and potentials, let them be more involved and efficiently contribute in their community, to be part of problem analysis and decision making, to raise their awareness on local cultural, social, economical and political issues, and to be familiar with and aware of their rights and duties as stated in the constitution.
1. For every residential area a public library, park, pitch, swimming pool, and a youth square shall be provided.
2. Planned periodic meetings with the residents shall take place.
3. Decent roads, schools, and public transportation shall be provided.
4. Focused action on keeping the community clean and green.
5. Planned periodic local cultural and musical events.
6. A public sport facility shall be provided.
7. A community center shall be provided for children and youth; regarding volunteering, social and cultural interacting and other activities.
We all know that to win an election you have to have a huge amount of money, in order to spend it on publicity, slogans, buying votes, and most importantly on Knafeh and Mansaf, so that when you win you will have them all back doubled if not more!
But what if a young female candidate with the above agenda who has absolutely no budget, no intent to follow the norm, sincerely has no interest in the post privileges (instead will use them to serve the cause), and will only sell you her ideas and thoughts!
Will you buy them?